[plug] Linux Accounting Packages

Randal Adamson ranz at devdata.net
Thu Sep 8 12:01:16 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 11:38 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> eh? VMware is ok, but crossover office and wine aren't??
> VMWare is a MUCH higher virus risk than crossover office.
> Crossover office/wine is damn cheap, no Windows license required and
> it's virus risk is so damn minimal it's not worth stressing about.
> It's also much MUCH lower impact on your system resources..

I have never heard of any problems with VMWare infiltrating the host
system with viruses. I'd be interested in seeing proof of that.

I'm not disagreeing with the system resources argument, but, the virus
aspect I have seen with my own eyes a linux computer been infected with
a trojan that was infiltrated via Firefox that was running Wine. There
are methods to disable the wine-linkage to firefox - but wine does
natively run and execute windows apps once installed.

I also don't want to get into an argument about wine/crossover - it is
simply not an option IMHO.

Finally, I'd prefer not to use VMWare also - I really want something
that just runs natively on *nix. Surely Linux is out there enough now
in the business environment?

Cheers,

Ranz