[plug] vmware vs wine for virus susceptability

Randal Adamson ranz at devdata.net
Thu Sep 8 13:11:52 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 12:42 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> It's damn good at what it does though (I've only used workstation, but
> I have heard some pretty incredible things about ESX server).
> I mostly only use it for test builds and packaging apps for GPO
> deployment.. aside from that I only really need outlook type
> connectivity so it's either bash my head against a buggy as hell
> "evolution with exchange plug in" or crossover office.
> I can't wait till version 5 hits the shelf.. office 2003 with rpc over
> http support :-)

I'm a big VMWare fan also. It has saved me time and money testing
software and installations. It is fantastic for that environment.

I'd have to agree with Shayne, if you're after the "fruit" that apps
like Outlook possess, then CrossOver is your friend. Unfortunately for
Linux, we still are behind the eightball with many features of
integration.

I don't think exchange server would be my choice for an email system
tho. I have to say that Groupwise is far more stable and runs on linux!
As features go, it beats Exchange - and you can use outlook with it :)
The new v7 has come a long way with the outlook plugin.

I actually use the groupwise client on Debian and have done so for ages.
It is very good.