[plug] HDTV Tuner card

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Wed Sep 14 08:00:01 WST 2005

Jim Householder wrote:

> Michael Collard wrote:
>
>> While I know nothing of that K-World card, check out PLE's Twinham DVB
>> card. Its $99 and I can promise it works perfectly under Linux.

Jaycar computer gear is usually no bargain. But they do a great line of
farting novelty salt & pepper shakers.

> What software are you using with it?

There's really only one set of Linux software to drive the cards - the
kernel. Unlike in windoze.
The rest is just scheduling, playback, and eye lollies. Play with that
after the card is working.

> My dse VCR is mono and has no s-video connection.  Will a simple s-video
> to RCA adaptor work, or is some sort of signal conversion needed?

S-video has 2 separate signals, colour and brightness, and its trivial
to combine them into a single 'composite' signal. You get cables to do
this. But its not so easy to go the other way. I thought most TV
capture cards had composite in, as well as s-video. Getting such a card
is probably the easiest and cheapest solution. VCRs are dirt cheap now,
but do they have s-video out?

> The TV cards have incompatible s-video sockets.  Both are 6-conductor,
> but one has the holes in a 'V' pattern with a horizontal rectangular
> plastic pin, and the other has a circular pattern with a vertical key.

Real s-video is 4-pin, horizontal key. The extra holes are non-standard
extensions.

good luck.