[plug] HDTV Tuner card

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Wed Sep 14 21:44:01 WST 2005

Mike Holland wrote:
> Jim Householder wrote:
>

>> Michael Collard wrote:
>>
>>> While I know nothing of that K-World card, check out PLE's Twinham DVB
>>> card. Its $99 and I can promise it works perfectly under Linux.
>

>> What software are you using with it?
>

> There's really only one set of Linux software to drive the cards - the
> kernel. Unlike in windoze.
> The rest is just scheduling, playback, and eye lollies. Play with that
> after the card is working.

Alright, what playback/eye lollies are you using?

I finally got mythtv 0.17 running for analog (/dev/video1) but not for
digital (/dev/video0).  If I choose DVB I get errors ' cannot open card'
and 'no such file or directory'.  No other card type works either.  File
permissions are the same for /dev/video0 and /dev/video1: crw-rw-rw-,
and same owner jim.video

> S-video has 2 separate signals, colour and brightness, and its trivial
> to combine them into a single 'composite' signal. You get cables to do
> this. But its not so easy to go the other way. I thought most TV
> capture cards had composite in, as well as s-video. Getting such a card

I rejected the card mentioned above because its only input was antenna.
  I needed camera input as well.

>> The TV cards have incompatible s-video sockets.  Both are 6-conductor,
>> but one has the holes in a 'V' pattern with a horizontal rectangular
>> plastic pin, and the other has a circular pattern with a vertical key.
>

> Real s-video is 4-pin, horizontal key. The extra holes are non-standard
> extensions.

In other words, you may want to avoid the V-Stream Xpert DTV DVB-T card
from Jaycar.  It appears it has a non-standard S-video jack.