[plug] [Slightly-OT] Computer for Paralysed

Phillip Kilby bishop.frog at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 13:21:02 WST 2005

I'm sure I saw some kind of virtual reality unit that follows your
head movements to move view angle just like a joystick. It's just a
camera that watches your face and you have a lil dot on your forehead
that the camera picks up on. I'm not sure if this would be usefull for
disabilities because it's intention was to help make flight simulators
more realistic so that you could look around without using the
keyboard arrow keys. Maybe this is what you were reffering to Richard?

Phillip.

On 9/15/05, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 11:06 +0800, Jonathan Young wrote:
> > I guess some ideas to look at would be voice control, tablet PCs /
> > laptops, touch-screens (though he would need to use his mouth to hold
> > a stylus etc.)  Windows or Linux, all these things should still be
> > possible - it depends what he is used to and if he is prepared to
> > learn a new OS at the same time as learning a new way of inputting
> > data.  Working with graphics tablets, OCR and joystick-type controls
> > might also be on the cards in coming up with a combination solution.
> >
> > I have not had an personal experience with these devices, but there
> > would have to be more online if you search for some of these terms /
> > devices.
> >
> > Sorry I can't be of any more help, at the moment, anyway.
>
> Try Googling for whatever the US forces are using for their
> damaged/injured soldiers. I remember seeing a long article about
> alternate HIDs specifically for disblaed vets, but I can't find it now.
> --
> Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au>
> Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
> eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
> business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
>                 -- Johnny Hart

"The ecological crisis is a moral issue."