[plug] Linux training for home newbies

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Mon Sep 19 12:09:25 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 18:41 +0800, Mr E_T wrote:
> On Sunday 18 September 2005 12:08, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> > Probably this mailing list would be your best bet.. grab something like
> > Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/), install, and have a play around
> >
> > As problems arrive... post messages to the list :)
> >
> > Cheers; Dan
> Nt quite what I meant - I know and use linux - in fact I use a LFS system ( Much modified)
>
> I was actually wondering if there was anyplace here in Perth where someone could learn
> a bit about linux in a class type situation?
>
> As one reason ppl dont use linux is because they have nowhere to learn it.
>
> Windows is taght all over - but not linux basics.

Way back when I was a resident of NSW, we had local community colleges
based in tafes and high schools that ran training courses for all sorts
of things for a nominal cost.  Mostly they ran once a week for four of
five weeks or so (at least as far as I can remember- abt 10 yrs ago).
Courses were available depending only on lecturer availability- I don't
think they were paid much.  As far as I know it was as much public
service as a money earner for the lecturers.  This sounds like what you
are looking for.  Is there any such scheme over here?

Tim Bowden