[plug] Firewall Distros

J Michael Gilks mike.gilks at westnet.com.au
Mon Sep 19 17:53:51 WST 2005

Had a bit of an embarrassing revelation today while auditing my home network.
The file, print, dns, dhcp server is an 800MHz P3 and my firewall is a 1.8GHz
P4.
Time to change this I think.
I have been running Smoothwall for quite a while as my firewall but thought I
might look around for something more modern in the firewall distro
department. 2.4 kernels are so last century.
So really, does anyone know of an easy to configure and administer distro like
Smoothwall or IPCop which uses a 2.6 kernel.
My Googling didn't turn up much that was helpful. I find Google searches an
arcane art sometimes. Either 10,000,000 pages of cruft or nothing at all.
A good tutorial on how to use a base distro, remove the cruft and get some
easy easy admin going would also be helpful.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Love
Mike.