[plug] Firewall Distros

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 18:35:21 WST 2005

On 9/19/05, J Michael Gilks <mike.gilks at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Had a bit of an embarrassing revelation today while auditing my home network.
> The file, print, dns, dhcp server is an 800MHz P3 and my firewall is a 1.8GHz
> P4.
> Time to change this I think.
> I have been running Smoothwall for quite a while as my firewall but thought I
> might look around for something more modern in the firewall distro
> department. 2.4 kernels are so last century.
> So really, does anyone know of an easy to configure and administer distro like
> Smoothwall or IPCop which uses a 2.6 kernel.
> My Googling didn't turn up much that was helpful. I find Google searches an
> arcane art sometimes. Either 10,000,000 pages of cruft or nothing at all.
> A good tutorial on how to use a base distro, remove the cruft and get some
> easy easy admin going would also be helpful.
>
> Any suggestions very welcome.
>
> Love
> Mike.
Love you too man... ;-)
I use clarkconnect which uses the 2.6.9 kernel and is VERY simple to
admin headless via a web browser..

In times past I've use SME server which also was a supurb distro with
fantastic focus on home/small office use..
http://www.clarkconnect.org/index.php
and
http://contribs.org/modules/news/

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
CNet News.com: So that would be the philosophical difference between