[plug] VOIP suggestions please

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 8 00:13:24 WST 2006

"W.Kenworthy" <billk at iinet.net.au> writes:
>On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 10:57 +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 19:25 +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:

>> > I'm making my 1st steps into the wonderful world of VOIP.
>> > I need a secure channel from wherever I may be on the planet
>> > back to home base in Perth.

>> Linux Magazine (feb issu) has a Voice over IP section.  Just had
>> a quick browse of it and it looks good.

>looks good, but doesnt have the goods, at least for asterix.  I got
>better instructions out of various wikis etc turned up from google.
>Mind you, I still cant get asterix to work.  I'll get back to it one day
>but its been quite a few hours invested so far :(

August 2004 edition (#45) of Linux Magazine had a more comprehensive
article on Asterisk as well related features. Check the bits at
	http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/45

>At least the voip clients work ok (skype, xtenphone, twinkle, linksys
>PAP2) without too much fuss.  skype was easiest, the others a little
>more difficult but nothing most people cant handle.

Linksys SPA-3000 if very handy providing an FXO connection (normal
phone line) and will fall back to that in case VoIP is dead. It'll
also route between PSTN and VoIP. Finally Asterisk can use it as a
PSTN gateway PSTN when your network grows...
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.