[plug] [OT] A collegue just sent me this :)

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 14:14:39 WST 2006

I got to this point and I thought, hey that's not true! (At least I'd never
admit to being lazy)  Then I read on...

> who always want to have a ready excuse for why they are not
> doing
> constructive things with their computer, other than compiling or
> recompiling
> the latest kernel, app, or hapless passerby.

This is very true, I'd been in a situation a few (many, many times) at my
old job where I'd hit a brick wall or there was some time to kill, and
there's nothing more convincing than having a putty/ssh/terminal window open
on your monitor with code spewing past.  "That guys busy, lets leave him
alone"

I also agree with the comment that a computer should be doing something
constructive as much as possible, and whilst I enjoy the belief that my
folding at home efforts are helping, even just a tiny bit, there's nothing
quite as satisfying as seeing my latest emerge list with such packages as:

KDE, OpenOffice, mySQL or xorg

There's at least a full night of compiling there...