[plug] gentoo install cd

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 10:15:37 WST 2006

I posted this the other day, but for some reason it didn't get returned back
to the list (my inbox at least), sorry for the repost if it did get through
to anyone.

Other factors at play too, I think..

 When my connection gets shaped 22mbps to 64kbps (go figure), the speed is
just atrocious.  If I then drop my MTU window size to that of a dialup
connection 576, it's a lot better, I've still seen dialup connections
function better though.  The ping response of ADSL2 usually helps though.

On the other hand, I fail to see how shaping a net connection to 64k is
helping the state of broadband in Australia at all.  Like, I know, I've
broken my limit, a limit which I wholeheartedly agreed to, but shaping to a
speed of similar or less performance to dialup seems a bit ridiculous, there
must be a better approach.  Efforts need to be taken to (at least in regards
to iiNet) to provide WAIX data to proxies around Perth, even if the data was
limited as it left WAIX.  They could even limit total WAIX throughput to
256-512kbps.

For now, every time I get shaped, I'll grab the ladder, turn my directional
802.11b antenna 90 degree's down the street and use one of the many
unsecured 1.5mbit DSL links in my area.

This post is completely off topic, and I apologise.

Shannon