[plug] [OT] Shaping of internet connections (was "gentoo install cd")

Caleb Duggan caleb.duggan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 16:25:08 WST 2006

It seems that downloads/msn/other internet activity cuts in and out a lot.
At first i thought it was that the bandwidth was been saturated but, then,
before when I had dialup(which is supposed to be slower), in my house,
there was sometimes as many as 5 people using the net at the same time and
i was still able to use msn and check emails but now, that dosent seem to
work too well even when im the only person using it.

It looks like our exchange can do 8M adsl by the end of this month and
hopefully i can get it then aswell(couldn't get the slower adsl because of
been too far from the exchange or something like that). Perhaps i can get
a larger limit than 10GB when the subscription to bigpond runs out(end of
next month i think). There's an ok plan at arachnet with 8mb/s adsl for
$59 a month with 20GB "download allowance" anyone know if that gets shaped
or pay extra once over the limit? and a 20GB WAIX allowance(which bigpond
dosent do).

Any other good plans out there i should know about?