[plug] laptop

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 15 09:36:45 WST 2006

I asked around others here who are using the tiny Vaio's before getting
one (work paid for it!).  Basically no one had hardware problems,
despite a couple looking "worn" and having been in use for some time.

IT support had to take an image of a hard-disk as they couldnt get one
or reinstall info from Sony (I find this hard to believe, but it *is*
rumour!) as some of those who got one killed the OS when "fiddlin" when
they first picked them up.

When I got it, I intended to cram XP into a dark corner, but ITS had
already had a go at it and set the admin password - rather than break
in, I patched XP using gentoo(!) and have not looked back.  Other than
some quibbles (the SD card setup is still clunky, suspend resume isnt
quite as "tuned" as I want etc), it "just works" - unfortunately my work
depends on this machine which makes fiddling difficult as I cant risk
breakage for the next couple of months :(  The install was actually a 2
week old tar.bz2 image of my old dell that died - I just untarred it
over XP after reformatting (reiserfs of course), made the necessary
changes to the custom kernel and rebooted.  Try that with doze!

I cant speak about support as I have not had a problem!

Billk