[plug] Gnome help

Russell russellsteicke at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 16:36:11 WST 2006

On 8/22/06, Brad Campbell <brad at wasp.net.au> wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> I just can't figure this one out.. in Windowmaker it's so easy.
> What I want to do is pin an application and its child windows to a workspace.
> I have 8 workspaces configured
>
> 1 - Thunderbird
> 2 - Firefox
> 3 - OpenOffice
> 4 - Gaim
> 5 - Xchat
> 6 - Kontact
> 7 - Xterms and development stuff
> 8 - Xterms and development stuff
>
> All I want to do is have Gaim always place its windows and popups in workspace 4. In
windowmaker
> this was so easy, but I just can't find a way to do this in Gnome.

I don't think this is possible with metacity (the default Gnome window
manager these days), but it is possible if you use sawfish instead.
Replacing metacity with sawfish can be frustrating sometimes.  I
haven't done it for a while since I haven't installed a new desktop
system recently, but I do remember wandering around in gconf looking
for keys to replace.

Anyway, once you're running sawfish, its configuration program,
sawfish-ui, has a "Matched Windows" tab which lets you do things like
that.  This is with debian sarge's 1.3+cvs20050222-1 package.

> I'm running Gnome 2.14.3 with Ubuntu 6.06
>
> Someone strike me mercilessly with the clue bat please..

*Whack*