[plug] dual-boot "gamers" machine h/w suggestions please?

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Wed Dec 6 19:40:32 WST 2006

Timothy White wrote:

>> Principle questions relate to chipset performance for a given CPU,
>> memory,
>> hdd transfer rate, clock speed, etc I imagine.   This is where I
>> think IBM
>> tends to tread on the cautious side so in general their mobos are less
>> punchy that some of the specs I've read.
>
> For games? Personally...
> AMD, nForce4 based systems. Nvidia graphics systems, and stock
> standard DDR RAM (1GB minimum). SATA HDD's. I think if you can find a
> "brand name" that can offer that, then go for it.
>
> You'll want to look around shops like Nintek, PLE, Trinix, etc etc.
>
> For example
>
> http://ple.com.au/?p=extremeamd&s=fo2e0qb47u7cer8k13sb8gkhs0
>
> Also, Nintek has a "Configurator" thing, for selecting parts, and
> they'll build it for you.
> http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/configurator.asp
>
> Tim

Agree generally with the spec, but why not build your own?  Once you
have all the bits it takes about an hour.  Btw, socket 939 is superseded
by socket AM2, so unless you jag old stock or get a 2nd hand mobo,
you'll be looking for DDRII RAM.  A good rule of thumb for serious 1st
person shoot 'em up gamers is that you can't have more than enough
horsepower.  Nintek is definitely the best place to start in Perth.
They can offer good advice too.

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 4.0.0
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal