[plug] Routing over a VPN link?

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 11:47:59 WST 2006

On 12/28/06, Andrew Furey <andrew.furey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a weird problem with a remote system I'm connecting to
> (standard chap PPTP VPN, no MPPE). I'm using sarge, and the VPN
> connects, receives IP addresses, etc, but for some reason I don't get
> any response to any connection attempts through it. I've tried both
> the remote end as reported from ifconfig, as well as another machine
> on that network which I know exists.
>
> The weird part is, it does work fine under XP :-/  I've attached
> i[fp]config and route output for both machines. The existing remote
> machine I'm ultimately trying to get to is 192.168.1.2, hence the
> static route added under Linux. The XP output has a lot of extra
> routing for things like vmware, other VPN clients, etc - just ignore
> them :)
>
> Any ideas?

A couple of things.

It looks like the subnet mask of /32 is your issue. Any address that
isn't 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.249 is routing via eth0 on the linux
box.

No loopback for 192.168.1.224, shouldn't affect though

Assuming you dont control the vpn setup, the admin may have limited
vpn access to a subset of machines that doesn't include 192.168.1.2

HTH

Carl G