[plug] kubuntu vs sid

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Feb 1 18:29:09 WST 2006

Hello,

I'm purchasing a new Twinhead Durabook in a few days times and will
promptly shrink the xp partition to about 10 gb and then install a KDE
based Debian system with grub to choose between them.

I originally intended to install kubuntu on my current ITC notebook but
could not get the 2.6 kernel to boot so ended up just installing sarge
with a 2.4 and then upgrading to sid.

I have never installed ubuntu/kubuntu (always used woody, sarge or sid)
myself but found found supporting a friend that used ubuntu to setup a
Moodle server to be a bit of hassle because a lot of packages I expected
to see in Debian were not present.

So what do you recommend? Using sid and the apt-get installing
everything and setting up the system myself or installing kubuntu?

I intend to become productive with the laptop quickly rather than play
around with different distros.

regards,

Chris