[plug] ISPs in WA

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Feb 7 11:24:26 WST 2006

On Monday 06 February 2006 14:49, Patrick Coleman wrote:
> I'm colo'ed with arachnet, and before the switch to amcom support was
> great - prompt and friendly. After the switch, I emailed
> support at arach.net.au and got an auto-response back from
> support at amcom.com.au. Two weeks later I'm still waiting for a reply -
> good thing that it turned out to not be urgent.

Similar experience here. Eric is none too happy with how they're
treating his customers.

> Apparently Amcom are also notorious for completely forgetting to bill
> you, which is both good and bad if true - I'll have to see how things
> pan out. I have however seen a ~100ms drop in ping times to the US
> since they moved from Telstra's gigabit to Amcom's gigabit, so its
> not all bad.

However, their Wanneroo exchange DSLAM was going to be switched to
high-speed (8x1Mb) LAST AUGUST, then September, then November, then
January and near the end of January they slipped the date to APRIL!
Hello? If you're going to slip FOUR MONTHS (on top of the accumulated
SIX MONTHS) then you know about it a lot longer than a few days ahead,
fellas!

> Don't even get me started on iiNet - used to be brilliant but in the
> last two years you can expect to wait 30mins for support at the very
> least, with mysterious network outages about once a month.

They turned to poo when the other Michael left.

WestNet have never been particularly fancy, but they have been
responsive and they have been taking care of their support people. They
reckon six months or less until ADSL2 arrives for their customers, and
eventually someone from Sales will ring me back with a more accurate
time for Wanneroo.

I have also had Swiftel recommended to me as reliable by a customer with
9 ADSL links, but have had bad experiences with their _wholesale_
division.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia