[plug] kvm issues

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Tue Feb 14 10:10:22 WST 2006

Hi Ranz

I used to use a 2 port Aten KVM with no probs at all.  I now use a 4
port Aten KVM, across machines with 4 different OSes (Windoze, OS/2,
Xandros, SuSE10) and haven't had even 1 glitch.  My guess is that your
problem isn't the KVM.

Cheers
Kev

Ryan wrote:
> I've found Linux normally sees the maximum resolution the KVM reports -
> usually 1600x1200 with my stuff.  Get a new monitor that handles this
> resolution natively and the problem goes away :)
>
> The X config is no doubt trying auto-probe-everything-plus-kitchen-sink.
> Should it not be possible to clamp it down a bit so it behaves the same
> no matter what it sees?
>
> Ryan
>
> On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 08:18 +0800, Ranz wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am wondering if other people are using KVMs? I use a DUAL-VGA KVM
>>(Aten CS-1744), because I use dual display on my Windows PC and my Linux
>>(OpenSuSe 10) PC.
>>
>>The thing that I've noticed is that if you start up the linux box whilst
>>the kvm is set to another PC (i.e. it's not active on the Linux Box) -
>>the X windows session doesn't pick-up the correct resolution or behave
>>the same as compared to if you started it up with the KVM set to the
>>linux box.

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!