[plug] Suggestions for scanner/printer

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Mon Jan 9 22:19:45 WST 2006

Greetings!

Due to the impending anniversary of my coming into being and the
resulting generosity of genetically similar to me, I am currently in
the market for an inkjet printer, or possibly an affordable
printer/scanner combo (probably no more than $160).

What brands and models carry the PLUG members' seal of approval in terms
of value for money, (Debian) Gnu/Linux friendliness, and ink economy at
the moment? The http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/ project looks
promising, and it's in the Debian repositories. Are things what they
seem, and how do scanner combos fit into the picture?

(This is to replace my existing Lexmark Z25, which, despite shipping in
a box with a friendly tux on the box, was a bother to get working under
a non-RPM distribution, and whose ink cartridges are so expensive that
I never bothered to check if I was actually successful in setting it
up--the cartridge ran out just before I switched to Linux a few years
ago.)

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/