[plug] Quick DNS Query - Slow logon

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Fri Jan 20 12:42:04 WST 2006

Just a really fast query for a new job that I have just started which has
me stumped... It is a 50/50 Windows/Linux situation, so I hope this
won't be deemed 'off-topic'.

I am more or less looking for inspiration and ideas - a place to start.

Here goes...

A Windows NT box is being used a file server and logon server -
effectively it is the PDC.  No problem.

A Debian box is being used with a DSL-300 modem in bridge mode to provide
DNS and act as a gateway.  As me for more information if you need it!

The various Windows XP clients on the network see the Linux box as the
Default Gateway and DNS server on 192.168.1.1, but they log in to
(authenticate) and get their ** WINS ** service from the Windows NT box
on 192.168.1.128 - the default gateway remains 192.168.1.1 which has a
second network card in it (eth1) which is 192.168.0.1 with the modem on
192.168.0.2 and everything works!!

All is going well until the Windows NT box needs to be replaced...

The new Windows 2003 Server box appears to do the job.

However...

For no reason in particular (or so it seems so far), Windows logon's
take a long time (around 2 mins) and occasionally what seems to be a
timeout on the network connection seems to cause applications to hang.
The XP machines log errors ranging from 'Application error in
blah.exe' to 'Domain Controller Unavailable' even after a successful
logon.

If the Debian box is running the DNS and default gateway; the Windows
2003 Server box is supplying WINS and authentication, where could the
bottle neck be???

Any hints, tips or ideas are very much appreciated and more information
is available on demand (I have remote access to both servers).

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX
jonathan at pcphix.com