[plug] Fedora Core 5 - Install

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Sun Jul 23 14:24:50 WST 2006

Arie Hol wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2006 at 12:31, hatari wrote:
>

>>Arie Hol wrote:
>>
>>>I have just spent the last 5 hours trying to do a default install of
>>>Fedora Core 5 - and at this point I am ready to say goodbye to Fedora
>>>and Linux altogether.
>>
>>=I still dabble, but the pain can be excruciating at times.
>>

>>>I have never had so much trouble trying to get Linux installed and
>>>running - even going back to the old versions of Slackware installed
>>>from floppy disks.
>>
>>=I agree.  In the last several versions of several distros there are
>
> lots
>
>>of "flakey" things going on.
>>

>>>7 attempts to install each one taking a different approach and all
>
> with
>
>>>the same results.
>>
>>=Arie, I tried 2 attempts myself - from 2 different disks.  I stopped
>>there.  They failed to install grub on /boot for multi-OS.  (ie no
>>boot-up)
>>
>>So I tried Mepis (for a reason which I wont go into).  After prompting

>>turned OFF certain Services for security reasons.  After loading I
>
> found
>
>>that not one had been adjusted.  So you can't trust a system for
>
> security
>
>>after that, can you?
>>

>>>Errors ! Errors ! Errors ! and more Errors !
>>
>>Yep.
>>

>>Not much help for your problem, but just letting you know others out
>
> here
>
>>are still finding (too much?) pain in Linux - as it begins to fracture
>>into a thousand distros.
>>

> Despite my initial whinging and moaning - I ended up with FC5 installed
> and at least running in a stable fashion. There are several things that
> are broken but at least I can do the things that I need to do.
>
> Maybe as time goes by I will get some things fixed - but I can do what I
> need to do on Linux.
>
> Looks like I will not be getting away from Windows XP in a hurry.
>
> It's still the age old question of Linux vs hardware - I am disappointed
> that so many things are out of square with Linux despite the advances
> being made with most distros - the hardware landscape seems to change too
> quickly - and I am not always in a position to change my hardware just to
> suit Linux.
>
> But I am not giving up on Linux by any means. I agree that Linux with its
> many distros is becoming too diversified and agree that the need to
> conform to the Linux Standards Base will be the most critical factor for
> the survival of Linux - lest that it becomes too factionalised to remain
> coherent as a single entity - but the situation will become more
> difficult as the "larger" distros such as Redhat, Novell and Mandriva
> become more independent with their progress in development and
> diversification.
>
> Diversity gives choice - but too much diversity causes factionalisation
> [...]

Why not give it one last try?  There are a few of here using Xandros,
and it "simply works - right out of the box".  Whilst it /is/ a Windoze
users' desktop distro, underneath it's still a regular Debian Linux and
can be used as such for the most part.  What I've liked most is that it
got me started easilly, and as I've developed my Linux knowledge I've
been able to treat it just like any other distro.  You're /not/ locked
into their package management system as in Linspire.  I have CDs here if
you want to have a look.

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!