[plug] Fedora Core 5 - Install

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Sun Jul 23 23:31:48 WST 2006

hatari wrote:

> Interesting, Kev.  After emailing today I loaded Debian (for the first
> time) and it seemed OK for a while.  However, it wouldn't let me mount a
> CD using the menu lnk because a service isn't started.  After hunting
> around for ages (typical in Linux) it is obvious that I can't find any
> (GUI) form used to adjust (ALL) Services.  I do not want to get into the
> cmd line yet.  Can you tell me where (in Debian) to find a Services
> control panel?  P.S. Xandros later maybe.

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for.  I'm still a Linux baby
myself, just making a few tentative steps into the command line.  Wrote
my first bash script a couple of weeks ago :-).  All I know is that in
Xandros, all the hardware on my 8 different home-made-from-odd-bits
machines here at home (5 kidz, 1 wife and 2 for me) is detected and
installed correctly automagically.  CDs, USB drives, cameras, anything I
can think of all work right out of the box (I don't have wireless so I
don't know if it'll work, but I'd guess it does).  I don't know how to
do what you're asking, because since I settled on Xandros I've NEVER had
to do it.  Everything just works, including networking (NFS or Samba),
internet connection, sound, skype, CD/DVD play/recording - you name it!

I accept fully that Xandros is not for the hardened, seasoned Linux
junkie, but for someone like me, coming from 11 years of OS/2, it is the
perfect entry tool.  As I said, it allows me to progress into the more
technical aspects of Linux at my own pace.  Because everything works
right out of the box, I can go and look and learn from working config
files.  While Linspire is a good beginners' distro, it's difficult to
get "under the hood" effectively and, for the most part, it locks you
into their own proprietary package management.

Xandros comes in both free and pay-for versions.  The free version is
identical to the pay-for, except for the removal of any proprietary
applications, such as StarOffice.  Btw, v4 has just been released and
the free version of v4 is not out yet.  I do have a copy of the latest
available freebie, v3.0.2.

Someone kept suggesting Xandros to me when I was trying to get started,
and after about 3 months I relented and gave it a go.  That was 3 wasted
months :-(

http://www.xandros.com/

If you want to ask more questions contact me off list.

Cheers
Kev

PS  I don't work for Xandros, but I should!

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!