[plug] fluxbox and dual screens

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 10:19:06 WST 2006

> I have set up two monitors, with a different resolution on both.  its
> working ok, except I can figure out how to drag a window from one
> monitor to the other.  The mouse cursor jumps screens fine, but leaves
> any windows or icons behind - is it possible to grag from one screen to
> the other?

You're missing the Xinerama extention in the X config. Add to your
serverflags section:

Option "Xinerama"

And then the two monitors will appear as one head. As long as your
window manager supports Xinerama properly, you're set.

(I use XFCE which has excellent Xinerama support... don't know about fluxbox).

Currently, without Xinerama, you now have two heads: :0.0 and :0.1. If
you want to keep them seperate, you can start programs on one or the
other by setting the appropriate DISPLAY. But you can't then move
them.

> Also, what happens if I take the ext monitor off, and find later that an
> application I need is running on the other screen - can I access it
> somehow without requiring an external monitor?

Window manager dependant. In Windows land you could right click on the
taskbar icon and select "move" and then keyboard move it back onto the
screen. It's up to your window manager to be able to do this. In XFCE,
you could ALT+TAB to it and then CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+Cursor to move it
back.

Hope this helps...

Daniel Foote.