[plug] distro differences - SuSE scores others fail

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue Jun 13 10:18:39 WST 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 09:45 +0800, Jason Posavec wrote:
> I'm surprised you didn't try out the number one most downloaded distro
> on the Net - Ubuntu. Sometimes I forget that I have a mix of SATA and
> PATA drives in my box as Ubuntu picks them up without a hitch. At one
> stage, I even had 4 SATA drives running at once as a proof of concept,
> running with a Promise TX2 SATA expander.
>
> Jason

Okay, I'll bite ;-)  I don't want to buy into a distro war because in
the end it all comes down to personal preference.  As I said before, I
was focused on Fedora becasue that is what K2LTSP is built on.  I
currently favour SuSE because I think it efficiently marries
newbie-friendliness with a suite of powerful (graphic) management tools
for the more experienced ... and all the command line tools are there
for the _really_ experienced ;-)  Add to that the standard distro comes
with HEAPS of packages and it has won me over.

I think Ubuntu is a great project and made even better by all the
spin-off projects.  However, I currently find the stock Ubuntu hard to
like because:
1/ it boots with 'orange' gnome as standard (blah).  I much prefer Xfce.
2/ it gives you little choice of install options (at least that are
obvious to newbies).  I like to have more control over what is installed
where (now, many of you will probably reply with a host of installer
option codes ;-)  I said "obvious to newbies")
3/ it comes with precious few packages.  I like to have a kitchen-sink
approach because I'm on dialup and don't want to spend the next couple
of weeks downloading all the extra packages I want :-(

Having said that, I agree that Ubuntu's hardware detection has been good
in my limited experience of it.

Please don't flame my personal preference - it is bound to be different
to your's ;-)

Gavin