[plug] Oxymoron: Microsoft, innovation

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Tue Jun 27 09:31:42 WST 2006

On 26/06/2006 at 8:54 AM Timothy White wrote:

------ snip ----------
>> >Now if someone can show me how to do that in the Gimp, then please do.
>> >But if someone knows what application he was using, PLEASE let me
>> >know. Cause what ever it was, it is IMHO, bloody well made!
>>
>> That sounds like a vector graphics application, you will find that Gimp
>> cannot deal with that.
>
>No, the application isn't a vector graphics application. I think your
>confusing vector's with something. Vectors are represented by maths,
>and while they can look stunning (cause they can scale to any size you
>like without loss of quality), they are still just that, maths'
>generating graphics. This application was working on photos, which is
>Bitmap, which CAN be converted to vectors, but with a loss of 'photo
>quality'. This was most certainly not a vector application, even
>though some of the workflow is of vector like work.

I disagree, I have worked with a graphics workstation that was vector
based and you would find difficulty finding any degradation in the image.
Scan an image from a photo and away you go, the finished product
being larger than the original was as good at the original.

Having said that, the workstation is not your home PC hardware so
you would not be able to do this kind of work without deep pockets
or access to such technology.

Mark