[plug] Fedora 4 yum question

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Fri Mar 3 21:27:51 WST 2006

Chris Griffin wrote:
> I have installed a fresh copy of Fedora 4 and immediately did a "yum
> update". After running over night it finished ok and I checked the
> grub config only to find that it still only knew about the original
> kernal version.
> A re-boot went fine so I decided to do another "yum update"
> because....well just because, to my surprise it found many more
> updates. Again I said go ahead, again it completed and I still have
> only the original kernal.
> I have now done this several times, every time it finds more to update.
> Am I missing something here, is there something else I must do to get
> it properly up-to-date.

Make sure your repos (repositories) are in order.  Look in
/etc/yum.repos.d to find what you have.  I have:
  atrpms.repo
  base.repo
  dag.repo
  fedoraextras.repo
  flash.repo
  freshrpms.repo
  gstreamer.repo
  jpackage.repo
  kde-redhat.repo
  newrpms.repo
  nrpms.repo

Each file will have one or more sections, and each section may have an
'enabled=x' line.  If x is 0 that section will not be used.  The section
will be used if x = 1 or the line is missing.

Another gotcha is key checking.  If /etc/yum.conf (or possibly
individual sections) have gpgcheck=1 and you are missing the key for a
site yum will give an error and not install from that site.  Set
gpgcheck=0 (at your risk) to get past it.  Items in /etc/yum.conf are
global.

To find which repo has a package, try 'yum search <package>'.  It will
tell you what versions are available and where they are, including if
you have it installed.

HTH
Jim