[plug] Anybody used linux on a sony vaio VGN-TX27GP/B

Nathan Alberti na at nathanalberti.com
Wed May 3 13:10:24 WST 2006

On 02/05/2006, at 2:46 PM, Brad Campbell wrote:

> Matt Kemner wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, quoth W.Kenworthy:
>>> Anybody used linux on a sony vaio VGN-TX27GP/B.  Looks mostly
>>> standard
>>> stuff, and I like the small size (I need portability more than grunt
>>> these days!)
>> Please excuse the late reply (Brad's email reminded me)
>> I don't have any experience with the Vaio, but I did recently
>> purchase a
>> Toshiba Libretto U100 because to me portability was also much more
>> important than grunt.  It replaced my aging Libretto 70ct which
>> was doing
>> most things I need a laptop for just fine, but sometimes a Pentium 75
>> _just_ isn't enough ;)
>> Everything on the U100 works under Linux (except possibly the
>> modem, which
>> I have no use for, so haven't tried)
>> Wifi, Bluetooth etc just works.
>> If you're looking for a sub-1kg portable that takes up less room
>> than a
>> VHS cassette, I can strongly recommend one.
>
> Exactly what I'm after. What is the battery life like? I'm kinda
> addicted to my 4hrs I get from my existing tank.. and the Vaio
> advertises 8.5 hrs.. which if it even gives me 5 would make me as
> happy as a pig in poo..
>
> The vaio is expensive tho.. works out about $3k AUD here..
>
> Really I want small and light (I have over 60 flights booked in the
> next 2 years) with a great battery life, wifi built in and eth/usb/
> bluetooth. External VGA than can do 1024x768. The rest I can kinda
> lug my old acer around if I need anything else or a big screen..
>
> I'm really used to my 15" 1400x1050 screen, but for something that
> small and light I'd be happy to trade back to a smaller screen.
>
> But I keep coming back to battery life.. it's gotta have it..
>
> Installing Ubuntu on the Vaio to test the battery life in the next
> couple of days.. (some generous person bought one then said.. oh
> I'm not going to be around for a bit would you like to play with it
> for a week or two to see if it meets your needs??) How lovely of her.

Consider a 12" Powerbook ;)

27.7 cm wide, 21.9 cm deep and 3 cm thin (Little smaller than an A4
page)
Up to 5 hours battery life
Wireless/Fast Ethernet/Bluetooth as standard
8x SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1024
x 768 pixels on the built-in display and up to 2048 x 1536 pixels on
an external display, both at millions of colours