[plug] Anybody used linux on a sony vaio VGN-TX27GP/B

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed May 3 22:40:36 WST 2006

Nathan Alberti wrote:

> Consider a 12" Powerbook ;)
>
> 27.7 cm wide, 21.9 cm deep and 3 cm thin (Little smaller than an A4 page)
> Up to 5 hours battery life
> Wireless/Fast Ethernet/Bluetooth as standard
> 8x SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
> Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1024 x
> 768 pixels on the built-in display and up to 2048 x 1536 pixels on an
> external display, both at millions of colours

Can't live with 1024x768 anymore.. I _need_ the extra width :) I'm struggling to deal with only 768
depth but I'll live.

The Vaio is about A5 so half an A4 sheet.. I kinda like the size and weight... 1.25kg is much nicer
in my briefcase than having to carry a laptop bag or backpack as I do now..

Like the idea of the battery life, but I'm really a Deb head so I'd need full support for the
various bits under linux.

I'm installing the _latest_ ubuntu beta on the Vaio as I type this (just to test the hardware
support really, if I end up with one I'm sure it will end up with Debian and Windowmaker on it like
all my other machines), so I'll play with it a little and see how it fairs.. I just can't quite see
it getting 8.5 hrs on the battery, but we'll see I guess.

If it fails to do anything major regarding hardware support then I'll look at other machines.

1st downer is the cdrom eject button is software triggered..

Checked out Matt's suggestion but all the docs say it needs a special dongle to connect the external
video. I carry my A5 projector around also and like the idea of a normal VGA port. (In fact my
projector, while thicker is the same footprint and lighter than the Vaio!)

Will keep you posted with the progress.. looks like I've scored the Vaio for an extra week now.. :)

Ta for the info guys, it's very helpful and informative.

Brad