[plug] Anybody used linux on a sony vaio VGN-TX27GP/B

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Wed May 3 23:09:03 WST 2006

-snip-

   >I'm installing the _latest_ ubuntu beta on the Vaio as I type
   >this (just to test the hardware
   >support really, if I end up with one I'm sure it will end up
   >with Debian and Windowmaker on it like
   >all my other machines), so I'll play with it a little and see
   >how it fairs.. I just can't quite see
   >it getting 8.5 hrs on the battery, but we'll see I guess.

Dumb question No. 1:
running in text-mode without Xwindows - or running a window manager/desktop
that has low overhead - is good to preserve your sanity on old and low-spec
machines, but does the same strategy increase laptop battery life?  I doubt
that the lower CPU effort would have noticeable advantage, but maybe the
much-reduced number of illuminated pixels might?  Someone satisfy my
curiosity if the answer has been tested.  Thanks.

Gavin