[plug] Pronto platform and Server

hatari hatari at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 11 09:50:08 WST 2006

I have two problems rolled into one....

1.
In my new employment supervising I.T. we are currently using PRONTO on
SCO.  Support was outsourced to a third party that has a financial link
to Pronto - so has a self-interest in maintaining the skill-set that way.

Despite Pronto blurb saying they can offer PRONTO on RedHat or Windows
the third-party support claims Pronto/Redhat isn't stable and Windows
T.S. is too slow, and won't guarantee their support - thus forcing the
Pronto/SCO continuum.  (I have yet to glean Pronto/RedHat versions they
tested etc.)

So - QUESTION: anyone out there using Pronto on anything?  (especially
RedHat, but even Windows?)

2.
Given that we might use the Pronto/Redhat pathway (based partly on your
discussions) we now also need a new SERVER.  So I need a
cheap-to-moderate/reliable server solution to maintain VERY STABLE RedHat.

So - another QUESTION: advice or offers on RELIABLE server solution
(component-wise) to maintain VERY STABLE RedHat.

NOTES:
    (i)
    Notice above that I did not say "cheap and nasty" solution; I just
want to keep costs low to demo a good alternative to throwing money out
the window.  And I want this option to be a killer blow - IF it is stable.

    (ii)
    Any advice on Debian in this mix would be welcome.

    (iii)
    This is a national, commercial, financial platform so it needs to be
STABLE.  (Did I mention STABLE yet?)

This matter is URGENT for me because I might just use it as a parting
shot on Monday.  (Did I mention angry yet?)  So any urgent responses
will be very welcome.

Regards