[plug] Accidently saved to /tmp in OO.o

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 09:51:28 WST 2006

On 10/2/06, W.Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> In your OO config, check if backups are enabled and what directory they
> are saved in - you might be lucky ...
>
> Its in "options/Load+Save/general" and "options/OpenOffice.org/Paths"
>
> /tmp is normally safe if you are using one of the safer cleaning
> utilities, but you have it in a ramdisk you might be out of luck :(
> BillK
>

> On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 08:49 +0800, caston at arach.net.au wrote:
> > I was up late last night working on my chemistry tutorial questions and thought
> > I'd be up early doing the same this morning.
> >
> > Of course I had opened the file straight from WebCT and didn't realise I was
> > working on it and saving it to my /tmp folder. When I booted up my laptop this
> > morning it wasn't there.
> >
> > This could catch almost anyone out. Sometimes I really wish there was an
> > undelete for EXT3.
> >
> > best regards,
> >
> > Chris

Debian-based distros usually clean out /tmp on every boot. I got
caught out by this at work once and wiped out a WHOLE bunch of stuff
(NFS mounted), the manager wasn't too pleased.. Suffice to say, /tmp
is about as volatile a storage as they come and should be considered
so. Sorry to hear about the data loss.

Tomasz