[plug] Filesystem benchmarks

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Oct 4 17:30:32 WST 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006, Stuart Midgley wrote:
> hmmm... its never that simple...  removing a large number of files under
> xfs is extremely slow (one of my directory removes took 40mins).  Also,
> I can crash our XFS system quite easily by running a file thrashing
> program (kdb shows it crashed in an xfs thread in the kernel).  SGI are
> trying to find the bug but struggling to figure out what it is.

Damn. I thought they finally ironed out all the XFS bugs in Linux.

Oh well, I'm waiting for the FreeBSD implementation of ZFS to be made public
and be included in FreeBSD-current. I'll even buy a new machine with
a whole heap of SATA disks just to test it out. Kind of what I ended
up doing with softupdates back when FreeBSD-3 included it.
I still have the test syquest disks somewhere..

Adrian