[plug] howto burn after dvd::rip

Ranime ranime at westnet.com.au
Wed Sep 13 09:36:13 WST 2006

I for whatever reason that is yet to be worked out, have not been able
to get 'dvd:rip' or 'dvd:shrink'  for linux working on my current
system....
However, using vobcopy " vobcopy -m " copys the whole dvd to hard drive.
followed by 'dvd shrink' fror winbloze
under wine if needed, works VERY well.

The .VOB files that vobcopy creates have had the region code and
macrovision removed by the time they are placed on your hard drive.

And, using 'k3b' i can create a DVD DATA disc,.
copy only the .VOB files that you want , and rename the 'VTS_01_1.VOB or
whatever required vob to the name of the video clip or music video
etc.. to whatever.VOB and burn to the dvd.

In the four different dvd standalone players that i had access to, they
all played very well.
you will get a menu list type on the tv screen like that that you would
see if you had burnt a data dvd or cd with jpegs or mp3's.

If left to play from the start they play one after the other quite well'

I have a pile of old video clips from live gigs 20 or so years ago that
were created as mpeg 2 files in dvd screen size a few years ago,
all i did was change the extention to .VOB from .mpg and now I'm
watching them on my TV again, without the risk of destroying the old
beta tape.
Alsp, alot of dvd movies have music clips as extras and you just grab
the .VOB and take it from there.
Having your own compulation of music video on dvd.
What works well for me now, I'm very happy with it.

Hope that helps somewhat and that i have not missed the point of your
requirements ?
There is of course the correct way to create a standard dvd with a
proper menu etc, using an authering software.... which is probably what
you want, but as i said this way of doing it does work.

--
Regards.
Max.