[plug] Fluid damage to Laptop

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Sep 16 13:48:24 WST 2006

Jonathan Young wrote:

>>> Ah yes... as I remember there was a 80's movie about a computer
>>> that had wine spilt over its keyboard.
>> Not many people own a "Pinecone".
>>
>> Movie was "Electric Dreams". The soundtrack's pop songs were more
>> popular than the movie.

Ok, I tried *so* hard to stay away from this one..
I have both the Movie and Sound Track, and yes, Giorgio Moroder is a legendary composer of movie
soundtracks :)

>>> The PC became self-aware and then later fell in love with its owners
>>> neighbour at which point it self-destructed.
>> No it didn't. It invaded computer networks, notably that of teller
>> machines.
>
> As far as I recall, it did fall in love.  Not sure if it was a
> neighbour... could have been.  The music was probably more memorable as
> you say.

It was an odd little sequence. The computer (Edgar) and (Miles) work to get the the Cellist upstairs
(Madeline) to fall in love with Miles. In the process, both Edgar and Miles fall in love with
Madeline and a small war ensues. Edgar finally realising that he really does not have what it takes,
does the gallant thing and blows himself up but in the process transfering his "self" to other
bigger and better networks, one of which happens to the the radio station where he dials up the
movies theme tune as Miles and Madeline tootle off into the sunset in Mile's Volvo Station Wagon.

Cute movie, great music.. I even have an original copy of the sheet music for "Together in Electric
Dreams".. Played it at a school eisteddfod many moons ago and still know the guitar solo down pat.
Was originally played with a Boss "Turbo Overdrive" pedal which I could never afford.

As ashamed as I am to admit that...

Brad.