[plug] dual screens at different resolutions and dragNdrop

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Mon Sep 18 13:37:29 WST 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, W.Kenworthy wrote:

> Xinerama doesnt handle different screen geometry well.  It stretches the

Wait a minute Bill.
I don't think you are actually using xinerama there. Everything you say
points to a dual-screen setup WITHOUT xinerama.
  Please try adding the server flag I mentioned.

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "Xinerama" "true"
EndSection

> I have just tripped up on a show stopper in any case: any attempt at
> starting ooffice (critical app for me!) crashes both X, and some of the
> OS requiring a hard reboot. :(

If enabling xinerama doesn't fix that, you may be able to use the vesa
driver, instead of i810.

> Back to a single common screen res which is 1024x768, which looks really
> crappy due to aliasing on the external LCD.

Ugh! Don't put up with that.

For a quick summary of the trade-offs, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinerama

Mike.