[plug] Billion modem-router

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Sep 22 20:58:42 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 08:16 -0400, Milan Pospisil wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>              My Billion BiPAC7402VL VoIP ADSL Modem-Router decided to
> call it a day and I need a replacement rather urgently.
> Could someone please recommend a half way decent piece of equipment(
> or perhaps share his experience, whatever it may be) which will work
> with Linux at a modest 512 K speed(or perhaps a bit higher :-)
>   It does not have to be a VoIP modem-router, all I need ATM is a name
> of a modem-router, preferably with an inbuilt firewall, which has been
> proven to work reliably with Linux. As soon as I have that info I
> intend to nose-in to the local computer shop nearby(PLE, MCG
> Technology, whoever...) and see what is available.... As I've said
> before I need the ADSL connection rather badly. Any info is welcome.
>
>         Thanks
>
>                     Milan Pospisil
Well, I've been using an Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro for the last 3 1/2
years, and it works well for what I want. It was the cheapest I could
get at the time from Westnet, and one of the old cadre here (Craig
Ringer?) mentioned that he traded a number of Billion ADSL routers for
Alcatels just to get something that worked better.

I have used the Gibson site to probe my IP address from the outside, and
I am hidden like a nuclear sub. - the only thing I have a problem with
is opening ports to allow the outside world to talk to me - think
Bittorrent. (But I _did_ lose the manual, so it may be possible).

It is not ADSL2 compliant ...  ;-)

There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629