[plug] Billion modem-router

Milan Pospisil pospim at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 21:49:52 WST 2006

On 9/22/06, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 08:16 -0400, Milan Pospisil wrote:
> >snip<<

> Well, I've been using an Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro for the last 3 1/2
> years, and it works well for what I want. It was the cheapest I could
> get at the time from Westnet, and one of the old cadre here (Craig
> Ringer?) mentioned that he traded a number of Billion ADSL routers for
> Alcatels just to get something that worked better.

Well, it looks like there might have very well been a good reason for it:-(
  I must admit that I have heard a lot of stories about Billion
modem-routers (none of which I intend to repeat on public),
unfortunately after I had already bought mine.

> I have used the Gibson site to probe my IP address from the outside, and
> I am hidden like a nuclear sub. - the only thing I have a problem with
> is opening ports to allow the outside world to talk to me - think
> Bittorrent.

Ouch :-(

(But I _did_ lose the manual, so it may be possible).

> It is not ADSL2 compliant ...  ;-)

Hmm... Does it really make a difference some 5 Km+ distancce of copper
wire length from the nearest Tel$tra exchange? Unless of course I
would want to shift house....