[plug] how do I browse files on audio cdrom w/o mounting

Andrew Furey andrew.furey at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:04:19 WST 2007

On 09/04/07, Gavin Chester <sales at ecosolutions.com.au> wrote:
> I have been reminded that it isn't possible to mount an audio cdrom
> because you keep getting "bad superblock" errors.  So how do I go about
> reading the contents and copying off selected wav or mp3 files NOT using
> a gui?
>
> The only way seems to be if you run a desktop with icons and it shows an
> icon for the device that you can then choose to browse using konqueror
> or galeon.  But what if you don't run such a desktop (eg, I run icewm,
> xfce, etc) and no icons appear?

A conceptual correction here... Unless I'm very much mistaken, there
are no files whatsoever on an audio CD. Any "file view" etc that you
may see in a GUI is simply a per-program hack added to make the
copying/extraction process more user-friendly. (This is as opposed to
a video DVD, which _does_ have a filesystem - VIDEO_TS/, etc.)

> The motivation for this is that my desktop usually has no icons (ie,
> it's icewm default), but also because this is such a low-end laptop that
> it took about an hour to copy 60Mb from the audio cdrom because of the
> graphical overhead of running konqueror to do it :-(

cdparanoia will be your friend here - it can be a little slow, but
it's reliable (hence the slowness, if you read up on how it works
you'll see what I mean). Once you've used it to extract them as WAV
you can then convert to other formats as needed.

HTH
Andrew

--
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.