[plug] still trying to write to cdrom

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 08:02:35 WST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 2:14 AM, Dem Nisbet <dnisbet at webace.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> A few months back I wrote about being unable to write to cdrom with
> Fedora Core 3. I received some helpful replies, and wrote to thank
> everyone, but my isp flagged my email as spam due to some bungle at
> their end. This is all fixed, so I can say thanks to all, but the
> problem remains.

You don't need IDE-SCSI emulation with a 2.6 kernel; it's one of the
things that Linus considered a really bad, ugly nasty silly hack just
to "get the job done" ie. burning for 2.4 series kernels.
However, I believe the general consensus was that you *really* need to
upgrade that FedCore 3 installation. 2.6.9 is mega old, and you'd be
surprised at how far the Kernel and Applications have come along since
then...

I'm sure the PLUG library can set you up with media if you can't use
your broadband for some reason or another. I recently managed to hack
a FedCore 4 box in to believing it was Fedora 8, so a network upgrade
is probably your best choice there:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

Tomasz