[plug] linux-friendly pda

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Sat Feb 3 12:25:47 WST 2007

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Gavin Chester wrote:

> late.  Eg., I thought my post yesterday asking about a pda would elicit
> a flurry of opinions, but the silence is deafening ;-)

I was waiting for those more expert to comment first :-)

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Gavin Chester wrote:

> the latter, but I thought I had read that the palm OS was dead.

It may be dead to the salesmen, but I can't see the linux distros dropping
support any time soon. I still use an old thin dragonball palm. You can
sync by USB or bluetooth.

> OTOH, I also need to get a new mobile, so should I look at one of those
> pda/phones instead?

Lots of regular mobiles have some PDA functionality that is rarely used.
I believe a lot of them can sync via SyncML. Linux apps should be able to
do that easily over bluetooth, though I havn't tried it personally.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncml

But if you want to do a lot of data entry on the phone (calendar/todo),
you may be better to stick with a Palm.

> of course, I want to do the same with linux and evolution (that I use
> for email, calendering, etc).

Anybody out there use Evolution with PDAs?

Mike.