[plug] linux-friendly pda

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sat Feb 3 14:14:53 WST 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 12:25 +0900, Michael Holland wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Gavin Chester wrote:
>
> > late.  Eg., I thought my post yesterday asking about a pda would elicit
> > a flurry of opinions, but the silence is deafening ;-)
>
> I was waiting for those more expert to comment first :-)

Thanks for your input, Mike - no need to be shy like Mike was,
everyone ;-)

> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Gavin Chester wrote:
>
> > the latter, but I thought I had read that the palm OS was dead.
>
> It may be dead to the salesmen, but I can't see the linux distros dropping
> support any time soon. I still use an old thin dragonball palm. You can
> sync by USB or bluetooth.

That's good to know - it was the overt linux support for syncing palms
that had me even thinking about them.  In the past I considered them
overhyped and underpowered, but that's not an issue now

> > OTOH, I also need to get a new mobile, so should I look at one of those
> > pda/phones instead?
>
> Lots of regular mobiles have some PDA functionality that is rarely used.

-snip-

> But if you want to do a lot of data entry on the phone (calendar/todo),
> you may be better to stick with a Palm.

Those are two interesting comments.  Not having a newer mobile I didn't
know whether they had much pda function, but it's worth knowing that
perhaps phones are easily overtaxed once you want full 'pim'
functioning.  It is for this reason that I have been intrigued by
pda/camera/phones such as the palm treo that I'm seeing on ebay for
$200-$300.  There are other makes too, but that is the most obvious
model running the palm OS.  Anyone know anything about such gadgets?

> Anybody out there use Evolution with PDAs?

I'd like to know that too :-)

Gavin