[plug] [Semi-OT] Laptops

Max mn8_linux at westnet.com.au
Sun Feb 11 11:07:43 WST 2007

I will be in the market for a low to mid priced laptop in the near
future,
so this thread interests me also.

The first question for me will be:
  Will linux install and run on it making it possible to use the laptops
hardware features - in my case, can i run Mandriva or Kubuntu ? .......

I have no interest in having windows on the laptop.

I see from the message source that Shannon sent his email using a
windows machine, but of course i could not tell if it was his laptop .

I know a lot of people on this list use and make a living out of windows
in one form or another, fair enough, i did once as well, but for
someone like me (retired and seen the light) who now will have nothing
to do with windows, i would not want to buy a laptop and find that i
could not use some of the laptops features because proprietary windows
hardware drivers are required or not catered for in a linux environment
as such.

Maybe anyone who has a newish laptop with a flavor of linux installed
could give some info..... ie:
 Make, Model, distro type, usability , etc....

like me, who has no experience with linux on laptops,
we could get some direct benefit from this,
our other option is a long frustrating web trawl....with not always
reliable info being found.
--

Regards Max.
Linux Counter Registered User #302050

VOIP Freshtel   :		      86016164
    or                                       86016164 @ freshtel.net
  ( if used with a VOIP provider other than freshtel )

Go to            http://www.freshtel.net