[plug] OT: vmware

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Thu Feb 15 07:56:39 WST 2007

Hey Bill,

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 06:55:16AM +0900, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> vmware are driving me crazy.  I need the vmware tools package for linux
> (running fedora on gentoo :) and I cant find the VMwareTools package on
> their website.  customer support isnt much help - takes 24 hours between
> emails and all I got so far was the workstation download page and no
> vmwaretools.
>
> Is vmwaretools still needed (the message from the vm says it is) and
> where on their 'orrible website does it live.
>
> Their website plays havoc with my firewall, sending packets to unopen
> ports (random I suspect) that triggers the firewall to blackhole it.
> Only a very few websites do this ...

VMWare tools should be included with the player (well I use Workstation
and Server versions, not sure about the standalone 'Player' version). In
the menu go to VM menu and select "install VMware tools".

This will mount a CD in the VM with some different packaging of the
vmware tools, e.g. tar.gz and .rpm. I can't recall 100% but just take a
look at the contents.

Jason.