[plug] laptop screen resolution in ubuntu

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Mon Feb 26 22:36:43 WST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 21:53 +0900, Michael Holland wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Gavin Chester wrote:
>
> > I have an old toshiba satellite 4090 (celeron 400, 128Mb ram, 6gb drive)
>
> Gavin,
> you havn't mentioned the log file, which will likely tell you whats wrong.
> If changing DefaultDepth to 16 doesn't work, can you upload the log
> somewhere and post us the URL?   usually:  /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> > BTW: it's a trident card, but no idea what ram it has -
>
> that too should be in the log file. If it's less than 4MB, you definitely
> need to reduce the pixel depth.

Thanks to Adam, Hendrik and Mike - I luvs ya'all.  The pixel depth was
the problem, as you all knew/guessed correctly.  I commented out
reference to the 24bit (and 1bit and 4bit) modes and set default to
16bit and was able to get the full 1024x768 right to edges of the
screen.  Yeeha :-)

Just out of interest I followed your other tip, Mike and found in the
log file that this video card only carries 2560kb ram.  I was going to
get greedy and try pushing it to 1152x864, but in the log it is replete
with warnings such as "not using default mode xxxx ... larger than LCD
panel (1024x768)"  So I guess that says my limit pretty clearly ;-)

Thanks again guys.  I can now enjoy using this lappie - albeit it's
mighty slow. Anyone patient enough these days to wait 140secs for
OOwriter 2.0 to start first time, and 80 secs each time thereafter? ;-)
I know I am, for now.  FYI: This lappie is just to be for occasional
mobile wordprocessing and web surfing while on campus as I start my
mature age return to tertiary life.

Gavin.