[plug] laptop screen resolution in ubuntu

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue Feb 27 10:01:50 WST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 07:49 +0900, Michael Holland wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Gavin Chester wrote:
>
> > Thanks again guys.  I can now enjoy using this lappie - albeit it's
> > mighty slow. Anyone patient enough these days to wait 140secs for
>
> Great to hear it is fixed.
> But with 400MHz and 128MB - no need for it to be slow with Linux.
>
> Edubuntu isn't the best choice, as i believe it uses Gnome.
> You could try Xubuntu, which is intended for older PCs.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu
> You should be able to change with re-installing, since its all ubuntu.

Yes, good point, and one well realised here :-)  I had the edubuntu
discs to hand, but the third thing I'm doing now is installing Xfce in
preference to gnome.  I became fond of xfce with my Cel400 desktop used
until recently so I'm no stranger :-)  Of course, I could always go
REALLY light weight and use peanut or DSLinux.

> > OOwriter 2.0 to start first time, and 80 secs each time thereafter? ;-)
>
> Couldn't you find a smaller program that will do the job?
> Even OO 1.x will get by with less RAM.

I could use one of the alternatives, but I just wanted consistency
across desktop to laptop.  If it becomes untenable I'll consider a
lighter alternative, but meantime I like the 'one-click' pdf export of
OO.o 2 :-)

My next major task for this lappie is to get a wireless card and learn
how to use that on-campus at ECU.  Expect to hear some bleats from this
direction when I try that ;-)  BTW:  ECU is like a lot of campuses and
is SO M$-centric it's not funny :-(

Thanks
	 Gavin