[plug] AMD 64 X2

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Jan 5 12:11:59 WST 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007, Daniel Pearson (Flashware Solutions) wrote:
> I'm looking at building a dedicated web server (the usual LAMP setup) and want
> to try and future proof it as much as possible.
>
> What I've got so far is.. AM2 motherboard (with SATAII 300 RAID onboard), 2x
> 120GB SATA II drives, etc.
>
> Now.. I'm considering either an X2 3600+ or a 3800+ (single core).
>
> The question I have, is has anyone ever used the RAID that comes onboard on the
> motherboard, and is it easy enough to setup? And.. would there be performance
> gains by choosing the dual core, over the single core - and if so, would it need
> a custom kernel etc.

I'd suggest testing, testing and triple-testing the RAID setup before you put
it online.

I've not found an onboard SATA RAID solution yet thats passed my test -
stuff like add/remove disks on the fly, handling a failed disk, being told
when disks fail, that kind of thing. I'm sticking to software RAID until
something better comes along.

(I've heard good things about the intel RAID stuff but I still haven't had
it pass the test..)

I'm going with a dual-core opteron for my next VPS server. You'll definitely
notice the difference. You'll need a custom kernel if your distribution
kernel doesn't come with SMP images (which would be weird..)

Adrian