[plug] AMD 64 X2

Daniel Pearson (Flashware Solutions) daniel at flashware.net
Fri Jan 5 12:16:29 WST 2007

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reply!

A few questions..

Quoting Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au>:

> I'd suggest testing, testing and triple-testing the RAID setup before you
> put
> it online.
>
> I've not found an onboard SATA RAID solution yet thats passed my test -
> stuff like add/remove disks on the fly, handling a failed disk, being told
> when disks fail, that kind of thing. I'm sticking to software RAID until
> something better comes along.

AFAIK, most 'onboard' RAID setups are basically software anyway. If this is the
case, would I be better off just simply getting a board without it, and use
Linux's built in RAID capabilities? I'm assuming the RAID HOW-TO will steer me
in the right direction.

> I'm going with a dual-core opteron for my next VPS server. You'll definitely
> notice the difference. You'll need a custom kernel if your distribution
> kernel doesn't come with SMP images (which would be weird..)

Debian Stable will be the beast..

Cheers; Dan.