[plug] AMD 64 X2

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Jan 5 14:02:00 WST 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007, Daniel Pearson (Flashware Solutions) wrote:

> AFAIK, most 'onboard' RAID setups are basically software anyway. If this is the
> case, would I be better off just simply getting a board without it, and use
> Linux's built in RAID capabilities? I'm assuming the RAID HOW-TO will steer me
> in the right direction.

Maybe. I'd actually test the RAID out before using it. Try googling for various
other opinions - someone might have hardware RAID working -and- had experience
rebuilding arrays and swapping disks. I'd like to be proven wrong. :)

> > I'm going with a dual-core opteron for my next VPS server. You'll definitely
> > notice the difference. You'll need a custom kernel if your distribution
> > kernel doesn't come with SMP images (which would be weird..)
>
> Debian Stable will be the beast..

I use Ubuntu LTS but Debian sarge will have -smp compiled kernel images available.
You won't need to roll your own just to get SMP support.

Adrian