[plug] Make The Move website launched!

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at ursys.com.au
Sun Jan 7 16:49:26 WST 2007

On 06/01/2007, at 1:28 AM, Jonathan Young wrote:

> Arie Hol wrote:
>> On 5 Jan 2007 at 9:12, Chris Smart wrote:
>>> Dear pluggers, I am a clugger, but wanted to post to the plug
>>> list about a new website that I've launched, http://
>>> makethemove.net (coding by MattV in Albany). It is a website
>>> designed to promote Linux and open source software as viable
>>> alternatives to Windows and other computer systems.
>> Nice work, easy on the eye and with a good lay-out. My aging CRT
>> had bit of a wrestle with the recommended resolution of 1024x768.
>> Hint : not every body in the world has the most modern whiz bang
>> display units.
> Not to be argumentative Arie, but I wholeheartedly disagree with
> keeping website resolutions down to include a broader audience.
> For those people who wish to run old CRT screens, fine.  But expect
> the various headaches that go with them and expect to find some
> things hard to view.
>
> I also wasn't going to bite until I read units capable of greater
> than 1024x768 described as "the most modern whiz bang display
> units"!  That's not really accurate...
>
> My current laptop which I've had for over a year runs every day at
> 1680x1050 (wide-screen) and my previous laptop did similar
> (1400x1050 non-wide-screen).  I purchased them in 2005 and 2002
> respectively.  Now these are LAPTOPS running at their limit, but
> that's what I wanted AS A MINIMUM spec.  I'd expect MORE from a
> desktop display.  Prior to switching to laptops for day to day use,
> I was running desktop CRTs (17") and from 1997 onwards I was
> running at 1280x1024 whenever possible.  It has been more than 10
> years since I used 1024x768 or 800x600 on a regular basis on my own
> PCs and I have been encouraging my clients to own hardware able to
> do 1024x768 (minimum) since about 2002.
>
> Now I say all of this simply because I wouldn't want anyone
> developing a website to think that expecting it to require 1024x768
> as a minimum is a bad thing - in fact, it's about time.
>
> If things don't look quite right for those with old CRTs... don't
> worry.  They'll be used to it soon enough...

Although I have been running my desktop at 1600x1200 for the past 5
years I have to say that this is an ignorant point of view. You have
completely disregarded anyone with vision impairments who don't have
a choice of the resolution of their screen. All websites should be
written to accommodate *any* resolution and also not turn completely
horrible when someone requires the font size increased.

I know a number of people with vision impairments who use linux over
windows so I would think that this kind of website *especially* would
want to be accessible to all.

Adam.